Concours, contests, courses and concerts!
Happy New Year! I hope you enjoyed the holidays. This Chapter Representative Update (CRU) will kick off 2011 with announcements about several exciting FSL events. But first, a few pieces of office business:
1. We’re pleased to announce there is still some money available for socio-cultural grants. All chapters are invited to submit proposals. To apply, please visit: http://www.cpf.bc.ca/20102011SC.html. We will approve applications on a first-come, first- served basis. Please note that if you were denied funding for a specific event in Fall 2010, you will not receive funding for that event if you re-apply. However, you can apply for a new event. For full information on the SC Grant process and rules, please visit: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/chapters/socio-cultural-grants
2. Our office is currently seeking a third party or chapter to organize a French Immersion Weekend Camp (aka Rencontre) for the 2010-2011 School Year. For details, please see the attached Request for Expressions of Interest form. It is also available online in .doc format. Please note the deadline for submissions is February 25, 2011.
3. Our newsletter was mailed to all CPF members in early December. Now, you can go green and sign up for e-news at: http://cpf.bc.ca/newsletteroptinform.html. To view current and past newsletters online, just visit: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/media/newsletter.
4. Photos from the 2010 National AGM and Conference in Ottawa are also available online. Visit http://gallery.shutterbugbooth.ca/ and scroll to the right until you see the icon labelled 'CPF'. Click the icon and enter the password: cpfconference2010. We would love to see any additional pictures you took!
5. As always, you can check our online calendar for up-to-date information about community events: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/events/calendar/gcalendar/CPF%20Calendar
Stay tuned next month for a new CRU format that will divide chapter business and community announcements in two separate sections.
Chapter Support & Community Outreach
French Immersion Celebration Week 2011
French celebration week is this February 6-12! If you hold an event during this week to celebrate the efforts of your volunteers, you can receive a $100 subsidy from our office. Details are available at: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/events/french-celebration-week.
Concours d’Art Oratoire – Call for Volunteers
CPF’s Concours d’Art Oratoire is a French public speaking competition that helps elementary and secondary students to develop writing, reading, and public speaking skills. Preparations for this year’s Concours are now underway! Registration for the provincial Concours begins February 14th, 2011 and closes April 15th, 2011. Detailed information about deadlines, rules, and prizes can be found on our website at: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/events/concours-dart-oratoire
CPF relies on the volunteer efforts of parents, students, and French-speaking judges to help make Concours happen. If you can contribute some time to this fantastic learning opportunity, please contact Concours Coordinator, Erika Rosales.
CPF’s 2010 State of FSL Report Now Available
CPF’s reports on the state of French-second-language (FSL) are biannual assessments of how well FSL programs are faring across the country. They examine the quality of both national and provincial support for FSL programs. The key article in the 2010 report is "Voices of New Canadians" - their attitudes, perspectives and experiences with learning French as an additional language. The report includes a two-page fact sheet for educators on this topic. The report also includes a review of ministry policies affecting equitable access to FSL programs. It is available online at: http://www.cpf.ca/eng/resources-reports-fsl.html
Will Stroet Performs in Delta, BC
Will Stroet is a two-time Western Canadian Music Award nominee who connects with kids through high-energy, interactive and educational music in English and French. He will be giving a performance for primary and pre-school children in Delta, BC, on January 15 & 16. The show is being sponsored by CPF-Delta and tickets are only $3!
Tickets can be purchased at Ecole Ladner Elementary, Ecole Cliff Drive Elementary, Ecole Richardson Elementary, Ecole Chalmers Elementary, McFrugals Discount Outlet, or Esquires Coffee House. Please see the attached poster for the contact information of each location.
Educacentre Revives “French for Parents” Workshops
Educacentre College’s popular “French for Parents” workshops are back! These classes are geared towards parents of children enrolled in French Immersion or Francophone Programs. Courses are available online or on campus and will begin at the end of this month (January 2011). For more information, please visit www.educacentre.com or call 1- 800 -747- 4825 ext. 1101.
French Writing Contest Open to Secondary Students
Canadian Parents for French and l’Association de la presse francophone are teaming up to bring you the Français pour mon succès 2011 contest. If you are a student in grade 7-9, like French, and want a shot at becoming a published author, then this is the contest for you!
Why do you think learning French is an asset for your future? How can learning French be a pathway to success, whether in school, work or life in general? To take part in the contest, answer these questions in an article of 250 - 300 words.
One grand prize winner from each of four regional categories will be selected, and their writing will appear in participating French-language newspapers across the country. All participants will also be entered in a draw to win a package of French-language supplies. The deadline is February 22, 2011. Details are posted at: http://cpf.bc.ca/site3/index.php/students/contests
Art Richard Launches 2011 Tour
Art Richard offers interactive French musical shows for elementary school audiences. He will begin a tour in February, 2011, and is accepting bookings. Please see the attached flyer for more information.Centre in Vancouver. Registration must be done online at www.word-nerd.ca.
Special Offer from BonPatron Pro
BonPatronPro is an online tool that helps correct French grammar and spelling while teaching students how to improve their written French. BonPatronPro is now available to CPF member families for just $9.99 per year — a 33% discount!
BonPatron was developed in Canada for second-language learners. To learn more, go to www.bonpatron.com and click “more information” and then click “show an example.”
To take advantage of this special offer, go to: http://pro.bonpatron.com/promo/?pcode=cpf10 You will need to give your CPF membership number. Note: this offer expires in June 2011.
Begbie History Competition Offers $1000 Awards
The aim of the Begbie Canadian History competition is to provide students with an opportunity to test their skills in history against those of other students from across Canada. The contest's emphasis is on using critical thinking skills to evaluate primary sources such as political cartoons, paintings, posters, graphs, maps, statistics, songs, speeches, diaries, letters, newspaper articles, and memoirs. The contest questions are based on major events in Canadian history from 1850 to the present.
There is one prize of $1000 for every 250 entrants. Students may participate in French or English versions of the contest. The deadline for entries is March 10, 2011. The contest date is April 13, 2011. For more information, please visit: http://begbiecontestsociety.org/